Tuesday, April 30, 2013

never say goodbye


The hardest goodbye to say

                The hardest and obviously the most painful goodbye I’ve had to say was the one I never got to say. My dad was struck by cancer early last year he had a form of cancer that spreads easily from one part of your body to another. His radiation treatments were over and the tumors in his head were shrinking and the tumors in his armpits had completely gone away. We went to the hospital to help him get over this stage of not being able to eat and drink stuff without keeping it down long enough to do any good. He was put on this medicine to completely remove waste from his body so he could eat food and keep it down. 2 days after he was put on this medicine he had a bad reaction which put him in a coma. After a few hours we heard the nurses talking about his condition and they described it as the sleeping death were a patient is comatose and their body slowly dies from lack of oxygen to the brain causing it to cease all functions. The first day I knew he was in the hospital I couldn’t stand being in the room because I couldn’t stand to look at this skeleton of a man who was once the most important figure in my life. A virus had withered this man to nothing but a paper thin layer of skin covering his bones.

                The time came when I had to leave to go home and I said goodbye for now to an unconscious man who couldn’t hear my goodbye. Later that night he died in a hospital bed with only my mother at his side his children all gone home hours before, I never got to say goodbye to him before the funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment